Throughout the years, our building has enjoyed a colourful history. Commissioned in 1899 by Canon Savage, the Rector of Hexham Abbey at the time, and named the ‘Hexham Abbey Institute’. Its purpose was to provide a much needed meeting place for groups within the town; somewhere that was accessible to all, where everyone felt welcome.
In 1936 the building was gifted to the people of Hexham and a charity was set up to help continue to fulfil its purpose to support the local community.
Today Hexham Community Centre continues to grow and thrive as an important resource in our town. We support the Hexham community with groups and events, pre-school playgroup, room hire and business facilities.